|Location||Outside Grand Harbour, Valletta|
|Type||Wreck (Paddle Steamer)|
|Maximum Depth||42 metres|
|Entry & Exit||Boat|
|Typical Marine Life||Moray Eel, Damsel Fish, Conger Eel, Nudibranch|
This robust-class deep sea rescue paddle steamer tug was built by C & W Earle’s Shipbuilding Company (Hull, England) and launched on 10th May 1910.
She had a bollard pull of 10 tons with 1250hp and a compliment of 17 men. She was based at Haulbowline Dockyard, Queenstown in Ireland until 1922. HMS Hellespont arrived in Malta in 1922 and worked the seas around the islands for nearly 20 years.
On the 7th September 1940 she was damaged by an Italian aircraft and was never repaired but laid up at Sheer Bastion (Macina). She was sunk on the 6th April 1942 by another aircraft attack. After the war she was lifted and then towed outside Grand Harbour and scuttled three miles off Riscasoli Breakwater lighthouse.
She now rests on a rocky bottom at a maximum depth of 42m.